Thursday, January 04, 2007
Bogus Bolus
I made small talk with the paramedic hovering above my desk.

As I registered the patient that him and his partner had just brought in, we discussed the usual workplace pleasantries. When we ran out of things to talk about the conversation turned to discuss the holidays.

Because I know his girlfriend, I asked what their plans were for New Years Eve. Not much he told me, he had to work the next morning. He was still planning on going out, and having a big night out on New Years Eve. "I think I'll just ask my girlfriend to bring home the IV supplies so she can give me a bolus."

Interesting, and handy, all at the same time. Not knowing what else to say or do, I laughed and we changed the topic.

Fast Forward:

This weekend, a coworker of mine noticed I was slightly under the weather at work. I laughed as I told her it was self induced and I couldn't justify calling in sick. "I wish you had told me earlier that you were hungover, I would have taken you out back and given you a bolus". It was the end of my shift, I was heading home to take a nap. "I'm fine, but thanks anyway".

Fast Forward to preventative medicine:

I had her put the IV in, and I'll hide it under my dress. That way, when I've had too much to drink, I can give myself a bolus at home. She explained that lately she would vomit after even just 2 or 3 drinks, so this would help. It was a form of preventative medicine.

Oh okay then. That's a great idea. And besides, if using a bolus as a hangover preventer doesn't work you can always have one of your buddies give you one the next day as a cure. I guess it pays to work in healthcare. Although personally, I think I'll just tough it out and suffer the consequences of my actions.


2 Comments:

Blogger Dr Dork said...

*chortling*

I had a friend from medical school who would occasionally get a drip from me or one of our mates after a big Friday night. Once, as a junior doc, he was driving to breakfast on a Saturday morning (in his convertible, holding the fluid bag up in the air with his free hand) and squeezed the bag too hard, giving himself a fair old case of pulmonary oedema, needing a whack of lasix. He was ok after a bit!

Funny stuff. This friend is now an orthopod. 'Nuff said.

New to your blog - good stuff !!

All the best
Dork

Blogger Ottoette said...

Airmen working on the flightline will take a 15 min nap in the cockpit with the oxygen on and going full blast. They all swear by it.
What do systems administrators do? I always just suffered! Some jobs just have more perks, I guess!

Post a Comment

<< Home